#1 - How to Add Images to the Gallery

• andyb
  • andyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
02 Oct 2013 13:24 - 08 Nov 2017 10:27 #281 by andyb
One feature that was requested when we set up the Club website a couple of months ago, was to have the ability for members to upload their own photographs into the Gallery.

This facility is available to use by everybody and I thought it would be worthwhile putting a little ‘How to’ together to show the steps needed to upload images of your finds into the relevant category of the website’s Gallery.

STEP 1

After selecting the GALLERY option from the top menu bar, you will enter the main Category Page of the Gallery. In order to upload images you need to click on the ‘User Panel’ link on the left hand side of the page.

STEP 2

You will then be presented with a page which has the option ‘Upload’ in the centre – Click on that.

STEP 3

This is the stage where you select the image(s) you want to upload to the gallery. There are three different ways to upload them but I recommend you only use the ‘Single Images’ option for now. Choose the appropriate category from the drop down box. Add a title and description and then click on the ‘Choose File’ option. Locate the file on your computer/phone/ipad or whatever.

STEP 4

The file name should now be visible on the upload page. Now simply click the blue ‘Upload’ button and your image will be uploaded to the appropriate category and a confirmation message will be displayed at the top of the screen. Further images can now be added if required or you can click on the ‘Back to Gallery’ link to have a look at the image you have just added.

That’s it – you should have successfully added a photo of your choice into a pre-selected category and given it a title and description. Have fun! :confused: :party:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• goldenhammerman
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Aug 2014 17:24 - 20 Aug 2014 00:15 #641 by goldenhammerman
Replied by goldenhammerman on topic #1 - How to Add Images to the Gallery

I think, like most of us, I can follow those instructions through and post (finding the Find to post is more difficult!) However, if I wanted to post an image HERE for example - ie, in the Forum, then to me this is more difficult - especially if the image has come from your own images or from those downloaded to ones computer from your Camera - they haven't URLs - so, how (simply) do you get one ? On Ebay if you want to add an image you browse through your own images (My Pictures) and double click an appropriate one, HERE it seems you can't - you need a URL.
One long way round is to take an image from your Pictures - upload say to Dropbox and then try and copy and paste the URL into the posting - and that doesn't always work for me -- What is the SIMPLES SOLUTION ?

I have just tried our Gary's instructions - Now I need to know how to make the image SMALLER !!!! having actually ADDED an image !!!
Attachments:

• garyl
  • Visitor
19 Aug 2014 18:44 #642 by garyl
Replied by garyl on topic #1 - How to Add Images to the Gallery
When you have finished typing your message and you choose your image through "Add File" the word "Insert" appears next to the name box. When you click on "insert" the image name will be placed where the cursor is. The photo itself does not appear until you click "Submit".

Hope this is helpful. :cool:

• goldenhammerman
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Aug 2014 00:18 #643 by goldenhammerman
Thanks Gary, as you can see it seemed to work - presumably the size needs to be reduced beforehand - or ?

• garyl
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2014 12:20 #644 by garyl
Replied by garyl on topic #1 - How to Add Images to the Gallery
Nice button. When looking a close detail i would say that is an ideal size but may need to be reduced depending on subject matter. You could use the button image as a guide to how much you reduce it.

I'm sure Andy has got size limitations in place but it's better that you do the size reduction beforehand.

More
20 Aug 2014 21:44 #645 by andyrob
Replied by andyrob on topic #1 - How to Add Images to the Gallery
Most of the gallery photos are reduced to 1024 x 768, ok for slideshow views (at least, there haven't been any complaints so far!) and keeps the file size small. Your 800 wide image looks ideal for the forum though. :cool:

Membership sec

• andyb
  • andyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
21 Aug 2014 20:13 #646 by andyb
Replied by andyb on topic #1 - How to Add Images to the Gallery

garyl wrote:
I'm sure Andy has got size limitations in place but it's better that you do the size reduction beforehand.

Yep. File size is limited to 2MB and dimensions of 800 pixels square in the forum. If an image is uploaded in excess of 800 pixels it will be downscaled accordingly. Gary is also right when he says it's better to reduce the image size before uploading if at all possible as we have a finite amount of storage space. Hosting your images elsewhere is also helpful to keep our storage requirements to a minimum.

• goldenhammerman
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Aug 2014 23:49 #647 by goldenhammerman
Feel free to remove image Andy - was an experiment (although I did find the button early this year in a field by the A 30 - maybe from a prisoner as the Kriegsmarine had a relatively short life !